Welcome to the Toys R Us world of awwwesome, where we want your little ones imaginations to run free! Toys R Us and Babies R Us are well established international brands. Commonly referred to as the “World’s Greatest Toy Stores”, Toys R Us SA currently boasts 50+ physical stores, two of which are located in Namibia, botswana and Zambia, as well as an ALL NEW AWWWESOME online store.
The key focus of the group is to ensure that customers, young and old, from children to grandparents, are offered an amazing range and experience, complimented by great value! Are you a dynamic and passionate individual who will ensure exceptional customer satisfaction and excellent store performance?
We are looking for a Category Manager for our Baby Department at our head office, who would like to join our amazing team!!
Duties & Responsibilities
The Buyers purpose is to meet sales and margins budget through selecting appropriate (*relevant to consumer, appropriate quality & in line with company margin expectations) product ranges in order to provide our shopper with the widest breadth of product at the best possible value.
Responsible for evaluation, forecasting, selection and procurement of all merchandise in the categories for which he/she has responsibility. The Buyer is accountable for range management, department strategies, sales, profits, margins, stock turn for their respective department as well as product quality control.
Strategy Development/Analyzing Competition
- Develop and execute business strategy to maximize the profitability of assigned categories
- Responsible for managing category strategy as well as pricing strategies
- Responsible for communicating category strategies to the relevant parties (planning, marketing and operations) and providing timely updates and information
- Partner with the Marketing team to develop and integrate store and online merchandising strategy
- Partner with key strategic suppliers to develop 3 – 5 year plans
- Development of private label ranges and strategies
- Research business and market place trends, analyze competitor products and customer needs to increase the organizations share of total market
- Analyze and understand the promotional strategies, campaigns, and media tools of competitors; utilize knowledge and information to promote products and strategy
- Provide solutions pertaining to relevant categories by drawing astute conclusions from financial reports and analyses (Understanding critical issues and the patterns, trends and root causes)
Financial Analysis, Pricing / OTB Planning
- Responsible for managing gross profit, sales aged stock and stock turn, of the category portfolio
- Develop financial plans to achieve the department’s annual sales and net margin goals
- Engage with Planning department to manage current and future OTB status
- Collaborate and Identify issues and opportunities and develop strategies to optimize OTB planning
- Analyze sales data to identify and ensure product sustainability of key performance drivers
- Analyze sales data to identify and execute sales opportunities
- Analyze margin data to ensure budget goals are met
- Analyze and monitor price strategies and collaborate with Planner on any changes
- Collaborate with Planner on managing aged-stock and poor sellers in line with category stock turn expectations and recommend exit strategies (markdowns, uplifts, promotions ect)
- Manage the billings process and negotiate deals with suppliers
Building Assortment and Range Plan
- Responsible for category range - product evaluation and selection to achieve category targets
- Responsible for managing the entire cycle of a product’s trend curve by making effective tactical and strategic merchandising and marketing decisions (managing top sellers, slow sellers, aged stock inventory management)
- Develop Import Program – range, price strategy, product life cycle, marketing & promotion
- Product innovation –point of difference product to ensure competitive advantage
- Partner with Marketing to manage launch strategies for new and innovative products
- Identify and introduce new categories of opportunity
- Ensure exclusive products and first-to-market launches within each category
- Order samples, maintain and manage samples in the Concept store and collaborate with visual merchandising team
- Provide solutions on instore executions of ranges through planograms and product training advice.
- Ensure product dominance as well as strong store presentation and a powerful visual trademark
- Responsible for working with Visual Merchandising Team and Store Planning to develop appropriate store groupings, bin allocations and planograms
- SKU/Product/System Management
- Consistently evaluate SKU count to ensure dominance of best-selling products and optimal range.
- Manage range through top seller, slow seller and aged stock inventory management
- Develop exit strategies for select items
- Get price concessions while implementing an effective strategy to optimize the success of items
- Liaise with Planning team on system maintenance updated and changes, which include - delisting’s (product and/or suppliers), price changes (sell and cost), product loading, promotions, conditional pricing, product hierarchy, supplier details etc.
- Ensure product complies to necessary quality standards to prevent company reputation damage, customer disappointment and misuse of company spend.
- Responsible for product certification and quality control parameters
- Collaborate with Stores and Operations to identify product quality issues and provide product repair solutions and/or product recall.
- Buyer is responsible and accountable for product quality and product specific compliance
Marketing/ Advertising & Promotions
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to execute product promotional calendar and promotional category strategies
- Partner with the Marketing team to drive category sales which includes developing compelling offers, coordinating timing, managing supplier participation and planning total profitability
- Accurately Complete the marketing ROI template by entering deals, prior and actual projections
- Accurately proof ad copy/photography and proof advertising (pricing, codes, pagination)
- Accountable for the return on investment in relation to the marketing campaign
- Partner with Store Planning & Operations and Planning on product space allocation
- Ensure that stock availability and product launches are in line with promotion dates
- Partner with suppliers to obtain funding and run financially attractive promotions
- Collaborate with Suppliers and Marketing team to execute instore visual solutions
- Maintain strong partnerships with existing suppliers and proactively sourcing new suppliers
- Manage supplier relationships by engaging with suppliers at least once a month to address key issues that include; stock management, availability of new products, distribution of merchandise, timely deliveries, claims and supplier allowances/billings etc.
- Manage and oversee communication on Quality Assurance with suppliers
- Develop strategic partnership and relationships with suppliers and take the lead to ensure master deals
Leadership/Talent Enhancement & Training
- Continuously update knowledge and skills in both technical and non-technical merchandising competencies to handle new challenges
- Develop and train team members in buying skills
- Provide feedback, coaching and guidance where appropriate to enhance skill development
- Develop and train store teams in relation to product knowledge, selling, and in-store execution
Cross Functional Partnership
- Communication across company departments/cross functional teams
- Manage tasks and responsibilities within cross-functional teams and cultivate networks across divisions and functions to improve business processes; ensure honest, direct and ethics in dealing with others (Shipping, Finance, Marketing, Warehouse, Ops, HR, Store Design, Property etc.)
- Partner with Marketing and Store Team on planogram/ floor plans
- Collaborate and coordinate merchandising of products with the Planning, Store Ops teams, and react effectively to operational issues
- Partner with Store Design and Store team on store layouts, bin allocations and point of sale
Desired Experience & Qualification
- Procurement/supply chain experience, with sound category expertise (Retail/FMCG/ consumable related industry preferred).
Package & Remuneration
- Provident Fund
- Risk & Disablity
- Discretionary Bonus
- Incentive Bonus